Teachers tweet and tumble

Rory Abrams, Staff Writer

Teachers nowadays have many tools at their disposal. And in this technology rich age, the tools at their disposal range from computers and smart boards, to cross country web chats. At Parkview High School, some teachers have adopted social media sites like Tumblr and Twitter as classroom tools for teaching.

Students and teachers also use these sites to remain in contact even after graduation. “I think it’s really cool [teachers on Facebook], and when you graduate, you can keep track of your favorite teachers,” said junior Shannon Bermudez
Tumblr, the social blogging platform, is used in Dr. Alexandrine Davis’s AP French class. Tumblr is used as a medium of discussion that is completely portable. Students can communicate with their class outside of school using the Tumblr app and an internet connection at any given time. It is also an easy site to sign up for and use.

“I use it to share information (supported by text, photo, link, chat, audio, or video) and to start discussions with my students. In return, my students use it to share their thinking with me and the rest of the class,” said Dr. Davis.
Twitter is another social media site that Parkview teachers have been known to incorporate into their lesson. AP language arts teacher Mrs. Tara Finco doesn’t use Twitter as a tool in the classroom, but she does share material to keep her page up to date. When asked about what she thought of Twitter’s use in the classroom, Mrs. Finco said, “I don’t use it in the classroom, though I still love it.”

Parkview is trying to keep up with the trend of online activity, incorporating social web services like Twitter and Tumblr to make the learning experience more engaging. In this age of technology there are so many sites out there trying to teach students lessons. From Khan Academy, to Crash Course, you can learn much without stepping foot in the classroom, and during this time of change, some of Parkview’s educators are adapting with the times.

Frau Knezovic uses Blendspace, a site that quickly generates digital content, to teach her seventh period German students.
Photo by Rory Abrams