Teachers get their heads in the game with Semi-Pro League

Anika Akbar, Editor in Chief of Operations

With all the grading and responsibility for their students, teachers have a stressful time balancing their work to ensure they shape educated students for the future. Oftentimes, they take up their own activities to relieve the stress, such as Zumba. However, a few faculty members have taken a different route with the Parkview Semi-Professional Basketball team.

The Parkview Semi-Pro basketball team was founded last year in an email group by career and technology teacher Nick Johnson, AP Government teacher David Reynolds, and former teacher Curt Doehrman. According to Johnson, the team is a reference to the 2008 film Semi-Pro, as a mockery of basketball. It includes ten faculty members who play the game against each other in teams of five.

The teams are different every week, and the players meet on Thursdays two hours before school begins and play for about an hour. Johnson explains, “We have very few people that are good at basketball, so we have different skills that attribute.”

However, there must be ten in the game every week to be sure that neither team is at a disadvantage. Johnson, as Commissioner of the League, ensures that there are enough players in attendance and makes the necessary contacts to fill the empty spaces.

The season doesn’t technically end either. The members play well into the weeks during the break, even coming in on last month’s first Digital Day for a game amidst all the grading of the assignments. However, at the end of the year, there is a ceremony of sorts, where awards are presented to the participants. Last year, Reynolds received the Splash Award for not scoring until game point as well as honorable mention for Ugliest Shot, while special education teacher Neil Womack received the Not as Bad Award, and math teacher Dustin Kline received the Sportsmanship Award. “[Kline] has the worst attitude,” Reynolds comments, “He is not the most sportsmanship-y.”

Currently, anyone who wants to participate as a player must speak to Johnson, the  Commissioner, and Reynolds, the Director of Operations, otherwise, the game is open to anyone who would like to watch. Johnson notes that the game is purely for their own pleasure, as it includes a combination of exercise, fellowship, and laughter. “[We] think that we are skilled and athletic in basketball, but actually are not,” he explained.