Quidditch comes to Parkview

Thuy Pham, Editor in Chief Of Design

It came down to the battle between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff during the finale of Quidditch. In the end, despite the Seeker for Hufflepuff capturing the Snitch, the Gryffindor won the game. Players in Gryffindor promptly cheered and raced to hug their teammates. The Gryffindor acquired 50 points from scoring goals with the Quaffle while Hufflepuff received 30 points from catching the Snitch.

This scenario might seem like something from the popular wizarding sport Quidditch stemming from the Harry Potter series, but the Latin IV program has implemented Quidditch into their curriculum. The game was played on the practice field from 9-18-17 to 9-22-17 with students competing to represent their respected Hogwarts houses – Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Hufflepuff. “It was great to get the students excited and emerge them in the book we were reading and see everyone’s enthusiasm to look goofy and run on brooms,” said Rachel Ash, Latin IV teacher.

The “muggle” version consisted of two teams with seven players per team. For each team, there is one Seeker that chases and catches the Snitch to score 30 points; the game ends after the Snitch is captured. Additionally, there are three Chasers that score goals (10 points per goal) with the Quaffle ball by throwing it into one of three hoops. Two beaters per team throw the Bludgers at the opponents to guard their hoops; once the Chasers are hit with the Bludgers, they must drop the ball and return to their side to touch their hoops to continue participating. There is one Keeper per team that guards the hoops from opposing Chasers. “It was awesome,” said Gryffindor Chaser Jackson Atwater, “I love being competitive.”

Despite the Latin IV program hosting the Quidditch match for the first time, the tournament was a success. The students learned to cooperate and have fun outside of the restrictive boundaries of the CORE standards and have a hand on experience with the Latin curriculum. “It’s always wonderful to spend more time with my Latin IV students; the same ones I’ve had for four years,” said Ash.

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

California makes new laws

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

North Korea causes concern for the United States

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Lowe’s Grant

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Homecoming spirit week

• Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview