MLB hacking Scandal

Meagan Gabrielson, Sports Editor

Entering 2017, the MLB hacking scandal between St. Louis Cardinals’ Chris Correa and the Houston Astros, arose again. Correa was accused of hacking into the Astros’ system and sentenced to 46 months in federal prison towards the end of 2016 before further investigation could figure out the extent of the hacking.

The Cardinals and Astros are longtime rivals. Immediate suspicion about the hacking was inferred to be taking the rivalry too far. The Cardinals-Astros hacking scandal has been going on since 2012 with new information being released sporadically from 2012 until now. The investigation arose once more in January of this year when Chris Correa pleaded guilty to hacking.

Correa was a scout who had connections in both Houston and St. Louis, which made him a prime suspect in the case. Correa was fired from the Cardinals in 2015, and has recently been banned from the MLB.

Correa really messed with the city of St. Louis and the Cardinals’ clubhouse St. Louis. Due to his actions, the Cardinals have to pay a $2 million fine to the Astros and give up their first two draft picks.

Correa hacked into the Astros’ database a total of 48 times through multiple employees’ email accounts. He started hacking when a fellow Cardinal employee left to work for the Astros and kept the same password for his computer. Correa claimed he was concerned that the new Astros employee was bringing valid Cardinal information to his new clubhouse, and admitted multiple times that it was stupid.

According to Sports Illustrated, “Correa’s actions went far beyond stupid… He intruded into the system again the day before the draft [in 2013] and again before the third day of the draft, including a peek at private medical records of potential draft picks.” Correa went too far that time and most definitely gained attention and suspicion from the media.

Correa got too comfortable with hacking and became comfortable with it resulting in more serious, hard to not notice hacks. He got away with it for over two years, but the truth always comes out at some point, and for him it came to jail time, multiple charges, two first round draft picks, and a $2 million fine.

MLB hacking Scandal