Cross country keeps its stride under new coach

Coach Demarest shows his Parkview cross country pride throughout the halls.

Rory Abrams

Grace Kim, Opinion Editor

Parkview’s cross country team has high hopes for the season under new coach Mike Demarest. Prior to coming to Parkview, Coach Demarest coached cross country and track at St. Pius high school, where he was a part of several state championship teams. Coach Demarest hopes to maintain the rich traditions instilled in the Parkview cross country team while helping each of the runners reach their full potential.

An avid runner, Coach Demarest has what it takes to lead the cross country team to victory. He ran cross country and track in high school, college, and he continues to run today. He has participated in three marathons, and overall he really has a passion for the sport.

Upon arrival at Parkview coach Demarest had to deal with some big changes in the cross country team. Every runner on the boys team who competed at State last year had graduated. “That’s tough to recover from, but so far, the team has proven to still be a force in our classification,” said Coach Demarest. On the girls side, they also lost several runners but coach Demarest continues to be optimistic, especially after they placed fourth in one of the biggest races in the state.

Many of cross country runners are very excited about what Coach Demarest has brought to the team. “He brings a real sense of pride and intensity to the sport, which makes you want to do better for the team,” said junior Rachel Hurst.

Overall, Coach Demarest is thrilled to be coaching cross country at Parkview. “The team as a whole is really fun to be around, and they work hard,” said Coach Demarest. “The camaraderie on a cross country team is unique, and being able to teach them how to race, work hard, and achieve their goals is just awesome.”

More information on Parkview’s cross country team can be found on www.parkviewrunning.com.