Parkview Rifle Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parkview Rifle Team

Parkview’s rifle team gets ready for their competition called the Dixie Challenge led by their team captain Jonathan Stoves.

Jordan Power

Jordan Power

Jordan Power

Jordan Power, Staff Writer

And the first place prize goes to….. Parkview High School’s rifle team. This is what everyone on the rifle team is planning on hearing when they compete at State, Nationals and the Marine Corps Championship.

Parkview rifle team has been to many matches and placed well in most of them. Team captain, Jonathan Stoves, senior, leads the team in these matches. This is Stoves’ second year being the rifle team captain.

When asked why he wanted to join rifle team, Stoves said, “I thought it would be fun, and it turned out I had a natural talent. 294 (out of 300) is my highest score.”

There are two types of shooters: sporter and precision. Precision shooters have special uniforms that they wear to help them shoot even better. Precision shooters also have better air rifles. Sporter shooters are generally beginners who are learning the basics of marksmanship.

“I enjoy being on the rifle team; I have been on it for four years. I think we can win Marine Corps Championship and State,” said Rylee Frisbey, senior, “Rifle team has helped me learn to let the past go, because once the pellet leaves the barrel there is nothing you can do.”

Many competitions are held during the year at Parkview and all over the state. The top five shooters on precision shoot in the competitions. In these competitions, the shooters have three targets, one for each position: prone, standing, and kneeling.

When asked if he thought the team has the ability to win any awards, Stoves said, “I can see a couple people getting distinguished metals. The team could earn decent accolades which are team awards. I feel like our rifle team is one of the tightest knit families of almost any school sports team.”

“Kneeling is my worst position because it is inconsistent,” said Stoves.

“I joined rifle team because I grew up shooting guns, and I enjoy it,” said Garth George, senior.

The team members write in their shooting logs to jot down what they are thinking at the moment and what they could do to shoot better.

“When I was in Girl Scouts, I met a girl who was on the rifle team; she became my role model. Still, to this day, I want to be like her,” said Sophomore Elizabeth Izzo.

Anyone is allowed to try out for the rifle team, males and females, as well as freshmen through seniors. It is not a requirement to be in MCJROTC to be on the rifle team.