Coach Flowe steps down

Coach Flowe ponders his future.

Coach Flowe ponders his future.

Aaron K. Ladd, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in 21 seasons Parkview will have a new head football coach. Cecil Flowe, Head Coach since 1993 and Gwinnett County’s longest tenured coach, has decided to step down and retire. Since the tragic death of Coach Chuck Mize, Flowe has been an anchor for the program, and his 197 wins make him winningest coach in Parkview history.
“I’ve been here a long time, and [retiring] has kind of been weighing on me the past two or three years, and I’ve gotten my years in, in the school system,” he said in an interview. “I talked to a lot of my close friends who have been head coaches for a long time and they said, ‘you’ll know,’” he said.

Flowe’s accomplishments at Parkview are numerous, most notably four state championships (1997, 2000, 2001, 2002). His winning percentage is also the highest among all Parkview football coaches.
Though Flowe is leaving behind coaching, he plans to pursue another passion of his. “I’ve raced cars my whole life, and I have a truck that I race. I’m a big stock car nut,” said Flowe. “I probably started when I was ten driving go-karts and kinda been around it ever since,” he finished.
Flowe, father of two, is also looking to spend more time with his family. “Well, Shelby is about to get married in May and Patrick is a junior at Georgia Southern. It will be good to get to see him play after a year off after the ACL tear and see Shelby get married,” he said. “It’ll be good to finally get her off the payroll,” he joked.
Coach Kenny Reese, who has instructed football and wrestling alongside Flowe since 1984, spoke about his friend’s decision to retire. “When a person is in charge of a program as the head coach, as he has been 21 years here, it’s exhausting. Football is a twelve month a year, seven day a week, twenty-four hour a day job, and it takes its toll,” he said. “He’s just at a point in his life where it is time to do some other things.”
While nothing trumps the satisfaction of winning three state championships in a row, Flowe also enjoyed seeing Parkview evolve. “It was fun to watch the community unite and have a sustaining group of fans come game after game and expect Parkview to win,” he said.

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

California makes new laws

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

North Korea causes concern for the United States

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Lowe’s Grant

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

• Coach Flowe steps down

News

Homecoming spirit week

Coach Flowe steps down