Student fights slaughterhouses

Bishop takes this picture with a goat.

Bishop takes this picture with a goat.

Amelia Bishop

Amelia Bishop

Bishop takes this picture with a goat.

Catie Gelting, Features Editor

Humane societies around the globe continually advocate for the rights of farm animals. For many, the primary farm animals considered are cows. However, many other species are threatened by the meat industry.

Junior Amelia Bishop is advocating for the rights of goats in the Stone Mountain area, focusing on goats that are living in slaughterhouses and meat farms. Bishop finds these farms through ads that they post online, especially on Craigslist. “When I began advocating for these animals, I started looking on Craigslist because a lot of illegal activity happens there.” Through Bishop’s research, she discovered that as many as 100 goats are often crowded into corrals as small as 20 by 20 feet.

Bishop was inspired to help goats after making a connection with one named Charlie. “At the farm where I keep my horse, there was a goat named Charlie that was being kept to be shown at competitions. Once the show season was over, Charlie was just sold off to a meat farm. I then saved up all of my money so that I could rescue a goat.” Bishop explained that this is actually a common problem with Future Farmers of America (FFA). “A lot of people often join FFA and gain these beautiful connections with the show animals without realizing that the animals will then be sold off to be used for meat once the season is over.”

Following this realization, Bishop has been a vegetarian for almost a year in honor of Charlie. Bishop hopes to return to the meat farms to take pictures so that she can raise awareness of the conditions that the animals are kept in. She also hopes to set up a GoFundme and sell shirts that she is designing so that others can contribute to her cause. “The goats are not able to move around because they are so crowded, and a lot of the time, they are kept in dirty conditions where they are exposed to a lot of bacteria, wind, and cold so that

many of the goats that are bought get so sick that they die before they can even be slaughtered and sold as meat.”

Bishop also hopes to shut down some slaughterhouses for breaking laws such as slaughtering on premise. The primary slaughterhouse that Bishop is advocating against is just eight miles from Parkview.

Slaughterhouses across the country are suspiciously protective of their privacy. No one is allowed to be in the “kill floor” when the animals are killed, even if they own the animal. Slaughterhouses are required to own a permit to slaughter each type of meat. Most small, legal slaughterhouses are only able to slaughter one type of animal in order meet regulations, although big slaughterhouses will have separate wings for each type of livestock. Laws on the keeping, handling, and killing of livestock are enforced by the government, and inspectors are regularly sent to all slaughterhouses registered with the government.

Bishop’s commitment to taking action and defending the voiceless is commendable, especially as she juggles the busy schedule of the average high school student.

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Musing of a Book Nerd

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Students come from across the seas for foreign exchange program

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Aldrich is proud of work he does with APUSH kids

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Spanish basketball team shocks the world at the 2000 paralymic games

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Katie Rutherford faces cancer like a superhero

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Student council hosted a successful Movie Night

• Entertainment

Parkview’s “The Crucible”

• Features

Lindsey Meyer found passion for dance at a young age

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Students sign to end women’s “suffrage”

• Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Out of District Students are a growing concern

Student fights slaughterhouses