Student council hosted a successful Movie Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thuy Pham, Editor in Chief Of Design

Anticipation rises. Even as people begin to line at the gate, the tension continues to build. “In the beginning, there was only ocean…” the movie continues to roll as everyone on the student council committee stops to look around. The reality had sunken in; Parkview’s student council has officially hosted the first successful Outdoor Movie Night. “I’ve been in student council all these years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” says student council executive board member, senior Tobenna Egbochue.

After weeks of distress over the weather, movie, concession stands, and especially the attendance, over 450 students, parents, faculty, and people within the Parkview cluster showed up on Friday, September 8th to support their community. “During planning, we had no idea how it would turn out because this sort of event was unprecedented in the Parkview cluster,” says student council executive board member, senior Emily Nguyen, “there was a lot of uncertainty about how an event such as this should be executed.”

Admission tickets cost $3 a person to watch the Disney movie Moana from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. The fee enabled student council to raise over a thousand dollars for the Lilburn Co-Op, a local non-profit organization dedicated to helping the needs of individuals and families within the Gwinnett County cluster.

In addition, some extracurricular organizations such as TSA (Technology Student Association), HOPE (Hispanic Organization Promoting Education), Odyssey of the Mind, Girl Up, Volunteer Parkview, and Relay for Life set up concession stands throughout the movie. TSA sold the Panther Meal Deal which included a hot dog, Goldfish Crackers Fruit Snacks, and Capri Sun for $5, Odyssey of the Mind sold popcorn, and HOPE sold various candies. “In the future, we’d like to increase awareness about the event through more advertisement in different outlets and hopefully gain higher attendance. This way, hard-working clubs selling concessions can earn more profit and be supported by our community,” says Nguyen.

Overall, Parkview’s student council is grateful for the successful turnout of the Outdoor Movie Night and everyone who participated in the spectacular event. They will continue to diligently sponsor more events in the future including this year’s Homecoming Dance with its Hollywood theme and the Homecoming parade.

Thuy Pham, Editor in Chief of Design

Thuy Pham is currently a senior at Parkview High School. In hopes of expanding her horizon and
assessing the extent of her creavity, she chose to join...

• Student council hosted a successful Movie Night

Features

Musing of a Book Nerd

Features

Students come from across the seas for foreign exchange program

Features

Aldrich is proud of work he does with APUSH kids

Features

Student fights slaughterhouses

Features

Spanish basketball team shocks the world at the 2000 paralymic games

Features

Katie Rutherford faces cancer like a superhero

• Entertainment

Parkview’s “The Crucible”

• Features

Lindsey Meyer found passion for dance at a young age

Features

Students sign to end women’s “suffrage”

Features

Out of District Students are a growing concern