Lindsey Meyer found passion for dance at a young age

Catie Gelting, Feature Editor

Mrs. Lindsey Meyer has overcome staggering odds to become the Parkview dance teacher. The odds were stacked against her since birth. Meyer was born a triplet, and the threesome was born at 1 lbs 6 oz three months prematurely. Because she was born so early, Meyer spent the first year of her life in and out of the hospital and her first 3 years on oxygen. Mrs. Lindsey Meyer has overcome staggering odds to become the Parkview dance teacher. The odds were stacked against her since birth. Meyer was born a triplet, and the threesome was born at 1 lbs 6 oz three months prematurely. Because she was born so early, Meyer spent the first year of her life in and out of the hospital and her first 3 years on oxygen. Due to the premature nature of her birth, Meyer’s development was delayed. When she was 3 years old a nurse recommended to her mother that she be put into dance classes to help her with her motor skill development. This led Meyer on her lifelong path of love for dance.  Originally from Asheville, North Carolina, Meyer would then go on to UNC Greensboro and then later to dance for Disney for seven years. Meyer has been a dance teacher at Parkview since the spring of 2015.  Meyer shared a touching story about her interaction with her parents during her first difficult days. Hooked up to life-saving machines, Meyer and her siblings were responsive to stimulation despite their frail conditions. Anytime her parents would interact with Meyer, the machines that were keeping her alive would light up like Christmas trees. “My parents describe it as if I knew that my siblings didn’t have much time left and I didn’t want them to spend time with me, I wanted them to focus on my siblings while they were still with us,” Meyer explained. Meyer was the only triplet to survive. Her siblings passed 10 days after their birth.   Meyer says that her siblings have not been forgotten and that she and her parents still talk about them often. Meyer thinks of her siblings frequently and uses them as inspiration.  “I value life so much now and I don’t take life for granted” Meyer lives by the belief that just because you have a tough beginning you can still overcome any odds. “I’m proof of that,” Meyer says.