Naturopathy: a health care alternative

Catie Gelting, Staff writer

When looking at health care, many people generally aren’t aware of many options beyond typical doctors found at clinics or hospitals, however many other alternatives are often available. One alternative, Naturopathy, is a form of health care that’s goal goes beyond that of contemporary medicine. It looks at the body as whole rather than the symptoms or the disease/disorder. It assesses our body as a system and aims to restore patients to full health instead of treating a patient for their ailments.“I see people get well instead of just managing a problems and that’s why I do this.” Dr. Kriscinda Morgan, a naturopathic physician in Snellville explained.

According to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians or the AANP, clinical and laboratory diagnostic testing, nutritional medicine, botanical medicine, naturopathic manipulative therapy, counseling, homeopathy, acupuncture, prescription medication and/or intravenous and injection therapy could be used during sessions. Generally, naturopaths try to avoid surgeries or traditional medication since they believe that true health and healing can come from natural sources. A typical visit may include methods such as applied kinesiology or iridology, two methods of assessing the body that are highly debatable in effectiveness and lack scientific research, but the treatments and methods used to restore patient’s health have shocked science with their results.

Naturopathy is not a new method, in fact it can be seen throughout history and most modern medicine would not be possible without it. The term Naturopathic medicine was first coined in 1892 but it goes back thousands of years and still uses traditions from Ayurvedic, Taoist, Hippocratic, Arabian, and Egyptian cultures as well as some monastic medicines.People turn towards Naturopaths when they feel like contemporary medicine is not benefiting them or that it is causing more harm than good. Like most health care, it is best when used before health issues become major but can help some extreme cases. Most notable of its benefits are its prolonged life expectancy for terminally ill patients especially cancer patients. An article found on thenddc.com explains, “Naturopathic doctors on the other hand are primary care physicians who specialize in preventative health care, chronic disease management and optimal living strategies. We are detectives for your health, combining your history, symptoms, lab tests and physical examinations to understand the patterns of imbalance.”

Although not the most common type of health care provider, naturopaths can be found all throughout the Atlanta area and are willing to help. They provide an unique experience of teaching and medicine that really helps patients to understand their bodies and how to take care of themselves. Many skeptics question the legitimacy of naturopathy,but naturopaths are real doctors who usually have completed some kind of medical degree before specializing in naturopathy. Dr. Morgan explains that “one of the reasons for skepticism is not being educated in the options [patients] have. I think if people were more open minded they’d be delightfully surprised because we do use the same premise [as contemporary medicine] but we work with the body, not against it.”

Naturopathy: a health care alternative