Atlanta’s winter wonderland

Amy Pan, News Editor

‘Tis the season! While December is typically a time full of end-of-semester stress and last-minute frenzy for most Parkview students, fear not. There are plenty of winter festivities around Atlanta that can offer a temporary escape from the gloom of final exams. These attractions provide the full experience and excitement of the of holiday season around the city, and in the case that boredom happens to strike during winter break, look no further.

1. Stone Mountain Park: Georgia’s greatest attraction, which only happens to be about 15 minutes away! From November to January, Stone Mountain sets up Christmas lights and holds dozens of holiday performances throughout the park. Even better, the mountain is completely covered in artificial snow until February, crafting the ultimate winter experience.
  2. Atlanta Ballet / Atlanta Symphony Orchestra: Atlanta has some of the greatest performance ensembles in the South. This season, watch the annual Nutcracker Ballet at the Fox Theatre (through December 24), or see the ASO perform one of their many holiday programs at Symphony Hall, including the renowned “Christmas with the ASO.”
  3. Underground Atlanta: Every year during the holidays, singers and musicians gather in Underground Atlanta to perform Christmas carols. Enjoy shopping, dining, and free entertainment as local musicians and choirs serenade their festive holiday tunes.
  4. Alliance Theater: The Alliance Theater puts on the renowned play A Christmas Carol annually, and it has become an Atlanta tradition, now in its 25th year. Celebrate the season by watching the talented cast recount the classic tale of Ebenezer Scrooge and the three ghosts of Christmas.
  5. Atlanta Botanical Garden: Each winter, the Botanical Garden holds a holiday light show, “Garden Lights, Holiday Nights,” featuring designs created with more than 1 million LED lights. Displays include a starry galaxy in the woodland area and colored bushes that change in time to Christmas music on the Great Lawn.
  6. Lake Lanier: Lake Lanier is famous for their brilliant light show, “Magical Nights of Lights,” but the holiday festivities do not stop there. The Lanier Islands also created SnowWorld, a park filled with snow slides and skating, along with a Holiday Village, featuring a bonfire, amusement rides, and Christmas shopping.
  7. Georgia Aquarium: Throughout December, visit the Georgia Aquarium for “Festival of the SEAson,” a celebration that includes a spectacular light and music show, Frozen-themed activities, and “SCUBA Claus,” all within the world’s largest marine exhibit.
  8. Centennial Olympic Park: Beginning in November each year, Centennial Park is decked out in thousands of twinkling holiday lights, and the ice rink opens just before Thanksgiving. Enjoy skating at Atlanta’s only outdoor ice rink, sipping hot chocolate from local vendors, or simply strolling through the park’s beautiful 21 acres.