Falling into leadership

Photo courtesy of Parkview FBLA

Parkview FBLA officers pose with their Adviser at the Fall Leadership Conference

Sania Chandrani, News Editor

“Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality,” read the Parkview Future Business Leaders of America t-shirts. This quote by Warren Bennis displays one of the most important qualities in a leader—the ability to transform ideas into actions.

Parkview’s Future Business Leaders of America have been busy this fall putting this into practice with numerous service projects and leadership opportunities for officers and members. On November 13-14, the five FBLA officers traveled to Athens with hundreds from around Georgia for the Fall Leadership Conference (FLC). They learned much and are excited to share with the members.

Vice President Lina Jowhar, senior, says, “Fall Leadership Conference was a great experience. I realized how privileged our school is because we get to learn how to become better leaders and how to deal with other leaders.”

Co-Vice President Mearon Lemma, senior, “FLC was a mind opening experience. It allowed me to have an insightful learning environment as to what my role is as a leader.” Lemma speaks to having learned how to effectively involve herself not only with the FBLA network but also with members here at Parkview. She continues to say, “Overall, I enjoyed myself beyond my expectation and will remember the experience.”

December will also be a fun month with an FBLA Holiday Party at the general meeting on December 11th, and the Hawks game social scheduled for December 6.

The month is filled with volunteer and leadership activities including a session at the December general meeting on the importance of and skills associated with professionalism and courtesy. The November general meeting introduced students to proper resume writing and FBLA members will be competing in January in the Region Leadership Conference, and service projects will be ongoing throughout second semester.

Of course, the Holidays are a time to give back. Prior to Thanksgiving, FBLA visited the Ronald McDonald House to cook a meal for the families. This season, members will be donating toys, raising funds for Relay for Life, March of Dimes and making holiday cards for senior citizens.

Additionally, every month, members have the opportunity to dress professionally for one day to receive points and learn how to maintain business attire. On November 20, an etiquette luncheon was held for any students who wished to attend, enjoy a meal, and learn about professional etiquette.

Membership is still open for anyone interested. Visit Mrs. Barbra Jackson in room 1.114, G-building for more information.