The Parkview Pantera

Are we locked in or out?

William Vo, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






What’s that sound? No, it’s not the construction. It’s the doorbell! Parkview is introducing a new policy, known as the doorbell policy, with an estimated start date somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas Break, according to Principal David T, Smith. With this new policy, all main entrances of each of Parkview’s buildings will be fitted with doorbells that will have to ring in order to notify higher-up personnel to unlock the door for the person that rang to pass through. For kids late to class from another building, the doorbell will have to ring and the student will be manually buzzed in before receiving a tardy pass from the secretary of that building. And about other teachers and students that need to cross multiple buildings due to being office aids or peer leaders, Maureen Lawson, the attendance clerk, states that eventually “a pass might be introduced but as of now, nothing has been said.” The doorbell policy, officially named the VMS system, which stands for Video Management System, is already in effect in other schools across Gwinnett County. “Parkview is one of the last schools to receive the VMS due to the open nature of our campus,” Principal Smith states, “and Trickum Middle School and Camp Creek Elementary School already have the VMS system active on their campuses,” and as of now, no more information pertaining to the VMS policy is known. Even though it is inevitable, Parkview students seem to be against the policy. According to a Google Forms survey, only 23% of the Parkview population supports the doorbell policy, leaving the other 77% in a fit. Many of the students against this policy holds many reasons as to why they are. For instance, due to the construction happening on site, trailers have been introduced as a temporary solution for teachers to hold their lessons for students. With the doorbell policy, as Donald Pham, class of 2019, states, “kids that need to use the restroom but are in a trailer class, good luck!” For others, it seems like a good natured attempt, as Destiny Dixon, class of 2019 and TSA Officer, says that “it might make things easier initially, but is an inconvenience in the long run.” Or for even the office aides or peer leaders such as Rylee Johns, a senior Peer Leader who says the doorbell policy “impedes the process of peer leaders heading to advisement lessons.” So, even though it’s an attempt at making Parkview High School a safer environment, is it locking the bad folks out or is it locking the kids in?”

William Vo, Staff Writer

Currently a senior at Parkview, William Vo found journalism through the oddest possible way. Getting hit by a car led William to journalism, introducing...

The student news site of Parkview High School
Are we locked in or out?