Gun Control: No

Hannah Campbell, Online Editor

“…The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” As the Constitution states, it is the citizen’s right to have a gun and it shall not be violated. Many people’s argument for why guns should be outlawed is because of the murders that are caused by them. Chicago, Illinois has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, but they have some of the country’s worst gun violence.  “You go to a city like Chicago. Some of the toughest gun laws in the country are in the city of Chicago and yet they have the worst gun violence,” says House Majority Steve Scalise in the Washington Post.

When one considers all the things that have happened with gun deaths, the majority of them are by criminals or by people who are not in the right mindset. These deaths were not by the average citizen who owns a gun for protection. If the national government did heighten up on the gun laws, the criminals and killers would still the beginning will find a way to get guns because they are criminals. An example of this was seen from 1920-1933 when the government took away alcohol. There were still people who made and sold alcohol. Why would anyone believe that this won’t happen when they ban guns? It’s just going to be history repeating itself.

A lot can be done to protect citizens from shootings, but, taking away a person’s right to carry something just because of what a few people have done allows the government to take away one’s safety. Most people who are for making stricter gun laws don’t see the other side of the debate. If they did, they would change their mind.

Gun Control: No