FUNDRAISING GRRR

Karen Ye, Editor in Cheif

Clubs and extracurriculars have always been plentiful at Parkview. If one was inclined toward art and love nature, he or she might join National Art Honor Society and Environmental Club. There was always a club on campus that would interest someone, no matter how niche it appeared to be. However, clubs rely on two very important things: money and membership. Clubs and extracurriculars have always been plentiful at Parkview. If one was inclined toward art and love nature, he or she might join National Art Honor Society and Environmental Club. There was always a club on campus that would interest someone, no matter how niche it appeared to be. However, clubs rely on two very important things: money and membership. Money is what determines the limitations of what a club can or cannot do. A trip to Chicago might be too heavy on the wallet, but a trip to Athens is far more affordable. The money for these trips and activities don’t come from anywhere. They come from fundraisers and their members.  Fundraisers are essential to keeping clubs alive. Newspaper requires hundreds to thousands of dollars for just printing the paper. Technology Student Association (TSA), with their numerous trips, requires each of its members to fundraise just to keep costs to an acceptable level. It’s no surprise that each club could use a couple hundred more dollars. Food became a fantastic way to fundraise. Orchestra would sell a variety of chocolate bars. Model United Nations would sell cookies during all lunches. They would bring in hundreds and pay off trips and other expenses for months to come. Food (especially sweets) brought in money, and the people who bought into it were satisfied with what they paid for.Snack food fundraisers were banned last year, and the once-reliable source of cash was entirely eliminated. Clubs were all scrambling for ways to make money somehow, coming up with increasingly niche products. Selling scented candles, unfortunately, doesn’t hold a candle to the potential hundreds to be gained from selling cookies and other sweets.This change in what can or cannot be used to fundraise has been a detriment toward clubs and the arts programs. Orchestra has lost a significant amount and has resorted to selling bread, pennants, and other products from a catalog. TSA has turned to selling bamboo pillows and cutting out their jerky fundraiser. Officers from all sorts of clubs come up with great ideas for fundraisers, only to be shut down when they remember the ban on snack foods.Certainly, it would come at no surprise if some of Parkview’s smaller clubs begin to turn belly up as costs rise. Unless someone happened to buy ninety honey-baked hams, of course.

FUNDRAISING GRRR