College Board: ruining teenage lives one test at a time…

Karen Ye, Editor in Cheif

Four, five, or even six AP classes. Endless studying for that elusive 1600 score on the SAT. Maybe a 36 on the ACT, if one is so inclined. This balancing act of standardized tests and coursework is typical of any student looking to get into a good college. Four, five, or even six AP classes. Endless studying for that elusive 1600 score on the SAT. Maybe a 36 on the ACT, if one is so inclined. This balancing act of standardized tests and coursework is typical of any student looking to get into a good college.With the growing emphasis on pursuing higher education, it’s no surprise that high school students are pressed to take extra classes to boost their test scores or polish their transcript with “rigorous” courses. They are the only real ways one has of getting into Ivy Leagues; even schools off the vine are raising their standards more and more to keep up with the rising standards. Behind all these applications and transcripts is College Board.College Board is a non-profit organization founded in 1899, dedicated to open access to higher education. The organization also creates all SAT/ACT and AP test materials. The infamous SAT is the incarnation of College Board’s insidious influence on entry to higher education. Composed of three sections (and an optional essay) of writing, reading, and math, the test is the be-all-end-all. Students are pushed to boost their scores, to study endless practice problems, and to devote hours upon hours in prep classes. The SAT is the make-or-break addition on a college application, as it is used as a benchmark. Every student is expected to take it, and it serves as a representation of college performance. Grades, extracurriculars, and volunteer experience might be stellar, but a below-average score means certain death. Not only does it come with a hefty $46 registration fee ($75 if one is registering late, and add extra fees are available), one’s chances of getting admitted into college hinge on some passages about goats and ocean waves. AP classes are another testament to College Board’s pervading impact on American education. Teachers have to teach to the test, and the students are the ones who take the brunt of it. The cost per test, especially those who are taking multiple APs, are exorbitantly high at $94. To compound on the high costs, some colleges don’t even take the credits, essentially wasting time and money all for the sake of padding an application.   College Board has essentially caused education to rely on standardized testing as a gatekeeper. The organization might be claiming to be the stepping stone toward higher education, but the SATs and AP tests feel more like a step back.