Ray Rockman Got a Music Column

Josh Farber, Columnist

A$AP Mob: The Cozy Tapes

Campbell, Hannah
The A$AP Mob, led by A$AP Rocky and A$AP Ferg is a hip-hop collective formed in Harlem, New York with the initial members being A$AP Yams, A$AP Bari, and A$AP Illz. This extravagant group rose to popularity due to the successes of A$AP Rocky and A$AP Ferg. In 2011, member A$AP Rocky signed a deal with Sony Music Entertainment worth 3 million dollars. In 2012, the group released their first project, Lords Never Worry. This mixtape led to a national tour and led to member A$AP Ferg’s becoming the second member of the collective to sign to a major label. As the glory of success happens, tragedies fail to be avoided. On January 18, 2015 it was revealed that an original member, A$AP Yams had died due to a drug overdose.
Now in 2016, the A$AP Mob has finally released their much anticipated mixtape, Cozy Tapes. In memory of A$AP Yams, the cover of the mixtape flaunts his baby picture. The mixtape begins with a two minute monologue/conversation bragging about how “cozy” their outfits were, this makes a pretty cool intro; however, it takes the “hit single factor” away from “Yamborghini High.” Following the psychedelic banger “Yamborghini High,” we receive a vicious banger in “Crazy Brazy.” Next, “Way Hii” hits another psychedelic high point for all its listeners with a feature from the well-known rapper, Wiz Khalifa. Following the first three bangers of the mixtape we receive a couple forgettable, however enjoyable songs with not much meat to them, until we get to “Put That on My Set.”
I remember hanging out with a friend while pulling up my YouTube notifications when this song officially released as a music video. The first thing we noticed while listening to the song was the sample taken from Chance the Rapper’s song, “Lost Off,” of the very well-known mixtape “Acid Rap.” It was a really awesome feeling knowing that some of my favorite artists were collaborating. Plus, it was incredible to know I had another amazing, chill A$AP Mob track featuring the famous England rapper, Skepta (it would have made more sense to have Skepta on the song “London Town” because…well he’s from England). Following that, I was glad to be listening to a skit, the whole mixtape felt like a laid back project filled with friends and jokes so a skit felt perfectly tied in with the project. “London Town” was a good song to land in to London to; however, its biggest highlight was the feature of the new signee of interscope records, Playboi Carti. The song meant for all track meets, Runner was a pump up track perfectly destroyed by Lil Uzi Vert. My personal favorite track Bachelor featuring Lil Yachty, Madeintyo, and Offset is the ultimate laid back banger with a cinematic image of “Riding through Hollywood.” To end the near perfect mixtape we get a single and a complete banger in Telephone Calls featuring Tyler the Creator and Playboi Carti. This may have been the best Tyler the Creator verse of the twenty-five year old existence.
As the outro of the track falls weirdly and perfectly with the banging instrumental, the mixtape draws to conclusion. Reflecting back on the project, a fan of the A$AP Mob will be thoroughly satisfied and will be left with a bunch of fun, relaxed, and cozy bangers to fall back on.

Features: Tyler the Creator, PlayBoi Carti, Lil Uzi Vert, Juicy J, Skepta, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Yachty, Madeintyo, BJ the Chicago Kid, Key, Onyx, and Offset

Songs to listen to: “Bachelor,” “Telephone Calls,” “Way Hii,” and “Yamborghini High” (single). Rockman’s overall rating: 4.6/5  Rocks

Ray Rockman Got a Music Column