Last day choices

Conor Flynn, Staff Writer

During the apocalypse-scare of 2012, many people were making last wishes, believing that December 21 would be their last day alive. They made plans to spend time with their loved ones or even spend their last minutes doing what they wanted. Luckily, the supposed end of the world never came.

But what if it had?

What if you knew you only had a day left? What if the world was to end in 24 hours and there was nothing you could do to stop it?

Says senior Kush Bhatia, “I would go home and see my dogs, get a few friends, then go do whatever we want, like Six Flags or just hang out. After that, I don’t know, I would just want to spend time with my family.”

Others also feel the need to have a last day with people they care about. Freshman Cade Shorter answered “I would go out with my parents and spend the day together, like go out to a nice restaurant and just talk. I might start crying though.”

Some, like senior Lauren Franklin, want to go crazy with their last few hours. “I would do things I’ve never tried before, like something crazy or driving on a motorcycle or something. I don’t care what happens, I mean, it’s all over in a day.”

While it is depressing to think about the rest of your life being compressed into a limited number of hours, it is also a big decision to choose how you are going to spend those last moments. Junior Milan Ravenell says “I don’t know, I would probably end up staying at home the whole time trying to choose. Or I might go bowling.”

Of course, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this question; many students want to spend time alone, with their family, their friends, doing what they love or doing something new. Responses ranged from “going scuba-diving” to “eating at my favorite restaurant” and everything in between.

You could be like Andrew Stolorena, even, and want to spend the last minute alive skydiving. “A new experience at the end of consciousness would be a one-of-a-kind final moment,” the senior says. “The feeling of weightlessness as you rush past high altitudes with the world at your quickly-approaching feet. That could be a cool last moment.”

When it comes to your final day, do what you want to do and spend it with whoever you want because no one should be able to take away your last decision. Don’t worry, though, you shouldn’t have to make any of these decisions any time soon.

Right, asteroid 2012 DA14?

Last day choices