Does school prepare students for the real world?

Khalia Thomas

While sitting in class one day, it hits a student: high school years are coming to an end, growing up comes quicker everyday, and graduation is fast approaching. The anxious feeling that comes with the thought is soon replaced by that sinking feeling of not being ready to grow up, go to college, move out, or possibly even start taking the SAT’s. 

There should be more important classes offered in high school that prepare you for the real world like like managing money, finding an apartment or house, finding a job and making resumes, and free SAT and driving classes. If school really wanted their students to feel ready, these classes and more would be offered versus the same boring class taken every year except more in depth, like math. 

The classes mentioned above probably sound like a bore to a teenager now, but when it comes down to them having to experience those real world situations, the classes will feel like a gift from the heavens. Mainly those classes some kids will never get the privilege of for free such as SAT studying and driving. 

Sure, these classes are available in the community school and reduced price for those who cannot afford it, but it would better if they were requirements set in the curriculum in order for you to graduate high school. Buying an SAT study book and reading it from front to back will not guarantee a fantastic score. Just like watching a parent or a friend drive will not automatically give someone the ability of how to drive. These are privileges that every student should have and not just the few who choose it. If schools wanted their students to get into great colleges with their scores and be more safe while on the road than with a parent, then these classes would surely be free and mandatory to all students. 

There’s a possibility that these classes could end in disaster due to students not appreciating them like they should or they could be beneficial for the school, the student, and possibly the economy. If decently taught and experienced students are released into the world, there’s a strong possibility that they’ll be more successful than the average student who doesn’t learn about the real world and their upcoming future.