California makes new laws

Anchal Tailor

Leon Christan, Backpage Editor

For decades, California has been known as an innovator in legal reform. From San Francisco’s barrier-shattering school system to the state’s views on immigration, California has been seen as a role model and also as a petri dish for new laws. In the past two years, the state has passed many groundbreaking laws that have finally gone into effect this past January (‘18). Three such laws are AB 10, Proposition 64, and AB 785. They cover vastly different issues, however, all three are relevant to most Americans and thus other state legislatures may soon replicate these laws elsewhere.

Bill AB 10 also known as “Tampons in schools” requires schools serving students in grades 6-12 with at least 40 percent of students living in poverty to stock bathrooms with tampons and other feminine hygiene products. This bill did not receive much backlash when it was being voted on and solves a massive issue in poorer communities. When I asked Parkview senior Briana Wood about AB 10 she said she “supported it with all her heart” Wood went on to say that “… many girls in disadvantaged communities do not have money to purchase these necessary products.”

In addition, Bill AB 785, otherwise known as “Guns — Hate crimes” prevents people convicted of hate crimes from owning a firearm for 10 years. This bill did get a lot of pushback from the conservative interest group the National Rifle Association (NRA), but due to California’s mostly liberal population, the bill was passed.  Fasica Mersha (12) commented that “the bill is a good idea because it will force people to think twice about their actions. I don’t think it would work in Georgia though. Mainly because we live in a red state.”

Finally, one of the more controversial bills passed in California was Proposition 64. Proposition 64 states that adults 21 and older can buy marijuana for recreational use from a licensed dispensary starting Jan. 1, 2018. The state is now issuing commercial licenses for marijuana cultivation, manufacture, testing labs, distribution and retail sale. This bill will have many eyes watching California in the coming months. In the past year Georgia, and more specifically Atlanta, has flirted with the idea of legalizing marijuana when the city passed an ordinance that decriminalized small amounts of the drug.

you could mention the “free bleed” movement that many people, especially in Cali took part in where they didn’t where sanitary products on their periods and documented how uncomfortable it was for them and those around them in order to promote awareness of what many homeless girls have to experience

• California makes new laws

News

North Korea causes concern for the United States

• California makes new laws

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

• California makes new laws

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

• California makes new laws

News

Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

• California makes new laws

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

• California makes new laws

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

• California makes new laws

News

Lowe’s Grant

• California makes new laws

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

• California makes new laws

News

Homecoming spirit week

• California makes new laws

News

California makes new laws