North Korea causes concern for the United States

The expansion of North Korea's missile program serves to exacerbate tensions between the United States and North Korea.

Jim Garamone

Emily Ogbodo, Staff Writer

Turn on any major news channel, and there is a good chance that they are discussing the current relations between North Korea and the U.S. With president Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un hurling insults back and forth, one may not know what to make of the situation. Some worry about the imminent possibility of war with North Korea and their advancement in nuclear technology. Tensions between these two countries are high, but this would not be the first time.

During the Korean war, America assisted South Korea in transition a democratic government free without North Korea which was and still is a communist nation. This, of course, caused strife between America and North Korea from the 1950’s to present times which has led to a heavily demilitarized zone that is still hard to bypass. It seems like this demilitarized zone serves not only as a physical border but a border that keep the citizens of both countries from connecting and showing unity despite their differences.

As time has passed from the twentieth century to the twenty-first century, there has been a lot of retaliation. North Korea held American citizens as prisoners including Otto Warmbier, who is an American college student at Rutgers college who died during his captivity due to extensive brain damage. America is currently retaliating with Trump, poking fun at Jong Un about being”short” and “fat” and Trump responding by saying that he has always been “nice” to Jong Un and does not understand why he would make those comments.

Essentially, what is happening is a back and forth argument between Trump and Jong Un where no serious damage has been done besides Trump bombing North Korea. Thanks to scientific organizations such as the North Korean Institute of Physics, North Korea now has a missile that can reach America called the Taepodong 2.

If tensions continue to rise, North Korea will continue to advance their technology, and if they are provoked, They will be a major issue and be affected in a derogatory manner. However, looking at things from an optimistic standpoint if Jong Un and Donald Trump can come to a reasonable agreement, things can become civil between these two countries.

• North Korea causes concern for the United States

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

News

Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Lowe’s Grant

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

News

Homecoming spirit week

News

• News

Freshmen elect their new student council representatives