Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

Principle David Smith presents Dr. Reid with congratulatory flowers for her prestigious honor (Photo courtesy of Dr. Days- Dee

karen Ye, Editor in chief

Some of the most important people in life work behind the scenes. Counselors are some of the most invaluable, providing students with the assistance they need to succeed at school and in life. Parkview’s Dr. Samela Reid is one example of such excellence.

On October 9th, Parkview Counseling Department Chair Dr. Reid was honored with GSCA (Georgia School Counselor Association) School Counselor of the Year.

This highly prestigious honor recognizes a selected high school counselor who possesses incredible leadership, collaboration, and high moral conduct; he or she needs to be a professional who dedicates his or her career as an advocate and perhaps even a lifesaver for students.

Dr. Reid excelled in the rigorous judging criteria and lengthy application process, separating herself as the premier counselor in Georgia.

She commented, “I am humbled and feel very blessed [for being awarded this honor]. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to work with an amazing group of counselors at Parkview High School and within Gwinnett County. I am also blessed to have the support of the administrative team here at Parkview.”

Dr. Reid has been in education for 27 years and has been a high school counselor for the last 21. She began working at Central High School before joining Parkview’s Counseling Department in 2002. In 2015, she became the Counseling Department Chair.

Dr. Reid works tirelessly to provide her students with social, emotional, and academic support. “When people ask me what I do as a high school counselor, I jokingly respond that I save lives. However, I seriously believe this to be true,” she noted. “Every day is different. I enjoy helping students to overcome obstacles, realize their potential, and see the value that they have as an individual. Some days are more difficult than others, but each day is rewarding.”

• Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

News

California makes new laws

News

North Korea causes concern for the United States

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Lowe’s Grant

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

News

Homecoming spirit week

News