Trumps first 100 days in office

+%28Photo+credits+Flickr%29
 (Photo credits Flickr)

(Photo credits Flickr)

(Photo credits Flickr)

Danielle Franklin, Staff Writer

Before Trump was sworn into office on January 20, there was a lot of speculation over what Trump would and would not follow through with from his campaign. As of today, April 9, 2017, Trump has been in office for 80 days. Over the past 80 days, Trump has not fulfilled all of his promises, yet he has begun working on a few.
Probably the most debated and controversial issue of Trump’s campaign was his promise to build a wall on the U.S.’s southern border and have Mexico pay for it. This is looking to be a promise that Trump intends to keep. So far, Trump has made an executive order to begin planning for the construction of the wall. According to Trump, the estimated total cost of the wall will be $10 billion, and as Trump states in an interview with CNN, the actual construction of the wall, once all the planning is done, will only take months to complete. Another executive order that coincided with the first pertained to boosting border patrol forces and increasing the number of immigration enforcement officers who carry out deportations.
Trump also made some waves with his campaign promises relating to environmental issues. Two of his promises included canceling global warming payments to the United Nations and dramatically scaling back the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA. Trump’s 2018 budget blueprint includes a proposal to zero out funding for the United Nations climate change programs and a $2.6 billion cut, or 31% decrease in the EPA.
Another highly controversial issue of Trump’s campaign was his promise to defund Planned Parenthood. As of now, Trump seems to be sticking to this original promise as Congress has begun working to dismantle parts of the Affordable Care Act. A measure to stop grants and Medicaid payments to Planned Parenthood has also been discussed.
With a number of promises Trump made during his campaign, it’s hard to say what he will and will not follow through with. He has made quite a bit of progress so far, but he still has a long way to go if he wants to accomplish it all.

• Trumps first 100 days in office

News

Mohammad Makhmudov is Parkviews STAR student

• Trumps first 100 days in office

Showcase

The swim team dives into the new season

• Trumps first 100 days in office

Showcase

Rifle team welcomes five new shooters

• Trumps first 100 days in office

Entertainment

Parkview dance programs

• Trumps first 100 days in office

Features

Smart cars now hit Atlanta

• Trumps first 100 days in office

News

Governor’s Honors program offers more opportunities

• Centerspread

Wisecracks in the pavement

• News

SAVE/SADD explains the goal behind the 89%

• Trumps first 100 days in office

Features

Muslim students of Parkview speak out against Islamophobia

• Trumps first 100 days in office

News

Academic Team moves on to 3rd round of High Q

Trumps first 100 days in office