Toys for Tots gives back to the community

Cadet Gunnery Sergeant Samantha Green (left) and Cadet Private Anna Mayo  (right) donate their time to Toy for tots during the holiday season. (Photo Courtesy to Jolie Mayo)

Cadet Gunnery Sergeant Samantha Green (left) and Cadet Private Anna Mayo (right) donate their time to Toy for tots during the holiday season. (Photo Courtesy to Jolie Mayo)

Jenny Nguyen, Copy Editor

The Christmas season has officially come into its own this December, and as expected, the spirit of giving is just as unwaveringly brilliant. With Parkview eager to lend a helping hand to others this season, one organization in particular also continues its efforts to provide Christmas miracles for those in need.

Every year, the Parkview JROTC helps out in the operations of the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots Program, which serves to collect and deliver Christmas gifts to underprivileged children in the community. As the largest, non-corporate collector and distributor of toys in the metro-Atlanta area, the Toys for Tots Program is able to extend its services to various churches and charity organizations in the state, and Parkview’s JROTC, in collecting cash and toy donations through local retail and grocery stores, has successfully expanded their annual contributions to over $70,000.

The JROTC cadets participate in several other sponsored events like gladiator fights and Big Mike Geier’s Kingsized Holiday Jubilee and Toy Drive that add more donations for the Toys for Tots campaign as well. While toy donations are directly delivered to a Toys for Tots warehouse, the approximate $30 to $40,000 that the club accumulates in monetary donations is used to purchase additional toys, which are also sent to the warehouse for distribution.

This year on all weekends through December 17th, JROTC students will be collecting donations in front of several, local Wal-Mart and Kroger stores, according to freshman cadet Annaliese Mayo, “Sometimes, parents can’t afford to buy toys for their kids, and we’re trying to help those parents out so their kids can have toys too.”

Parkview students can also contribute to the cause by donating to the Toys for Tots donation box in the front office.  Not everyone can enjoy the festivity of the holidays, and in recognition of such, JROTC students are working especially hard to ease the strain for others who are less fortunate. “[The program] impacts people, and I tell it to the students all the time. Most kids in this school wake up, and they don’t question if they’re going to get a Christmas present, but there are kids in this world and this town who don’t know if they’re going to receive a Christmas present or not, and without Toys for Tots, a lot of kids wouldn’t,” remarked ROTC adviser David “Gunny” Erwin.

• Toys for Tots gives back to the community

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Lowe’s Grant

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

News

Homecoming spirit week

News

• News

Freshmen elect their new student council representatives

• News

Will DACA’s demise destroy hope for the Dreamers?

News

Moon named Teacher Of the Year

News

PHS students take on Dragon Con