Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

Catie Gelting, Beats Editor

Anticipation raises. Even as a spectator, the tension begins to build, and it’s not lost on the judges or the master of ceremonies. “The winner is…” the MC stops and looks around; everyone is holding his or her breath. He decides to crack a joke to relieve the tension, futher extending the anticipation before he announces the winner.
The new Parkview Pageant director, Laury Morse, has taken the Parkview Pageant in a positive, new direction, starting with its name. Previously known as Miss Parkview, the pageant is now called the Parkview Scholarship Pageant. “I proposed calling it the Parkview Scholarship Pageant so that it would be more understood to be a scholarship pageant, which it is,” Morse explained.
Morse not only changed the name to create a better understanding of what the pageant is really about but also increased the scholarships awarded to the contestants. The pageant also now includes male participants to create a broader eligibility for scholarships.
The scholarship pageant is the only fundraising for Parkview’s PTSA, which distributes money to school programs such as drama, photography, band, student scholarships, special education, and the literary magazine.
The contestants were judged in three sections. On October 2nd, the contestants convened at the Mayor’s house for their interviews, which accounted for forty percent of their score.
“The interview was the most challenging part of the competition because it was nerve-wracking,” said junior Rachel Harp. Although most of the contestants found the interview to be the most challenging component, many agreed that it was the interview skills that they learned from the experience that would be their most important takeaway of the pageant for them.
Twenty percent of the contestants’ final scores came from their onstage introduction at the pageant on October 8th, which included the contestant’s favorite quote. The last forty percent came from the contestant’s evening wear, which included poise and onstage presence.
Awards for each class included an academic award and a community service award, as well as awards for raising $200, $500, and the most money from that class. Each class had a first and second runner up and the overall class winner. A “Most Photogenic Award” was awarded to Sean Anderson and Alayna Guthrie based on the photoshoot done on the school campus with the contestants, and an award was also given to the contestant who raised the most money—this year by senior contestant Sydney Poole, who raised over $25,000.
This year’s Miss Parkview is Mckay Wilcox.
After the competition, Wilcox said, “Competing was meaningful because it taught me a lot of things like being confident. Winning meant that I’ve become a role model for other girls at the school.”

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Lowe’s Grant

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Homecoming spirit week

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

• News

Freshmen elect their new student council representatives

• News

Will DACA’s demise destroy hope for the Dreamers?

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

Moon named Teacher Of the Year

• Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch

News

PHS students take on Dragon Con

Ritz, Glitz, and a bit of a switch