Lillian Wang is Parkview’s shining STAR

Processed with VSCO

Processed with VSCO

Processed with VSCO

Anamiaka Sharma, Beats Editor

The PAGE STAR (Professional Association of Georgia Educators and Student Teacher Achievement Recognition) program honors Georgia’s highest achieving high school seniors and teachers who have been most instrumental in their academic experience. The STAR program has chosen their annual STAR students, and Parkview’s own Lillian Wang is one of the winners for the 2015-2016 school year.

To be STAR student one must be a senior in a Georgia public or private high school, take the SAT and score highest on a single test date, and be in the top 10 percent of students at your school. This STAR student then chooses a STAR teacher for having made the most significant impact to the student’s academic career. Since the PAGE STAR program has started, it has honored almost 20,500 student and teachers. This is their 58th year running the program. For 2016 winners the Gwinnett Chamber will host an awards luncheon on honor the STAR students and STAR teachers from Gwinnett County. This year’s award luncheon will be held 11:30 am Friday, March 4 at Hilton Atlanta Northeast. Wang says, “I am surprised but honored for being selected as STAR student.”

Last year’s winner was Sida Tang who went on to attend Yale University and he chose physics teacher Phil Heier as his STAR teacher. Wang also chose Mr. Heier as her STAR teacher. When asked how it feels to be chosen two years in a row Mr. Heier said, “It is very humbling. Parkview has so many great teachers that touch their student’s lives every day, that to be chosen two years in a row is amazing to me.”

He added, “I feel blessed just to have had the opportunity to work with her for the past four years in Science Olympiad and in my AP Physics classes. Lillian is such an impressive young lady; I am excited to see where she goes in life.”

Lillian Wang is class of 2016’s salutatorian. She is a straight A student who is heavily involved in many clubs and activities such as JCL, NLHS, and Science Olympiad. She is an officer for Science National Honor Society, Vice President of Finance for DECA, Co- President of Math Team, and a member of National Honor Society, BETA club, Mu Alpha Theta, and National English Honor Society. While not at school, she, “[likes] volunteering for the community, napping, dancing, and hanging out with friends at coffee shops.”

• Lillian Wang is Parkview’s shining STAR

News

Falcons hit the Orange Jungle

News

Teacher of the year is over the “Moon” about teaching

News

Dr. Reid honored as Georgia’s counselor of the year

News

Las Vegas becomes newest addition to the deadliest mass shooting list

News

Quidditch comes to Parkview

News

Lowe’s Grant

News

Hurricane Irma encourages an extra three days off of school

News

Homecoming spirit week

News

• News

Freshmen elect their new student council representatives

Lillian Wang is Parkview’s shining STAR