Multitasking is a mistake

Photo by Grace Kim

Junior Lillian Wang struggles with multitasking at school.

Grace Kim, Opinion Editor

Picture this: It is a Tuesday night and a student is hard at work, typing away on an essay due the next day. On her screen, there are fifteen tabs of pages, which include Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Tumblr. At the same time, she is texting her friends and making plans while sounds from the TV resound in the room. Sound familiar? Multitasking is something that most, if not all teens are very familiar with. But many people do not think about the negative effects of this habit.

Studies have shown that multitasking lowers IQs because the brain is only capable of focusing on a single thing at a time. When people multitask, the brain slows down considerably, which prevents people from completing their tasks with the same type of quality and thoroughness that they would otherwise be able to achieve.  An article on Forbes states that, according to research, damage done to the brain from multitasking may even be permanent.

However, thousands of teens continue to multitask. This is mostly due to the fact that many teens do not know the impact that multitasking has on the brain.

“It is surprising that something so common and normal can be so harmful,” said freshman Joy Kim.

Yet, even when presented with the facts about multitasking, some people still choose to do it. This is because time efficiency is not the only reason why teens multitask. Some students multitask because it lessens the burden and dreariness of homework tasks. Personally for me, watching TV or listening to music while doing homework relaxes me and helps me forget about the stress of school momentarily.

“When I multitask, it feels like I am getting a lot done, which is why I continue to do it, said junior Jaylin Parham.

Although I have definitely noticed that my brain isn’t very focused when I multitask, I doubt this knowledge will stop me or many others from doing it. It’s just too hard to resist. Our brains work fast, and it is hard for us to concentrate too long on one thing at a time, especially with the distractions caused by social media and technology.