Students battle “morning traffic blues”

Amy Pan, News Editor

Lately, the sight of Cole Drive on weekday mornings has been slow and still. Every day, a long line of cars stretches all the way down and around the road, and the street is so congested that hardly any movement occurs as the clock ticks closer to 7:30.

The current state of traffic in the mornings can largely be attributed to the new construction taking place at the lower entrance to the stadium parking lot. According to the district planning office, a “retention pond” is in the process of being built in the area formerly used for bus parking. There are no plans to rebuild the driveway or reopen the entrance anytime soon.

Ever since the entrance has been closed, the drive to school has been painfully sluggish. Junior Amira Snipe said, “I ride with my brother in the mornings, and while we don’t live that far away, we usually have to wait in traffic for a very long time before moving anywhere.”

Senior Emir Talundzic agrees. “I’ve gotten so many tardies due to being stuck in traffic for 45 minutes, and I’ve left an hour earlier from my house,” he said.
Laure FitzSimons, junior, shares their frustration: “I think the situation is just terrible. I honestly don’t understand the point of building a pond in front of the school, when the area can be used so much more efficiently as another entrance.”

While the situation is out of the administration’s hands, many students have expressed frustration at the lack of action taken to remedy the situation. “I think the school should really do something because you can’t just block an entrance and not expect issues,” said Talundzic.

Parking lot attendant Jackson Edwards is very unhappy with the issue as well. “It’s not reasonable to the students or faculty, and it’s beginning to impact the entire area around the school as well,” he said. “The worst thing is that none of us were ever consulted by the construction company about these huge changes.”

To make matters worse, some parents have started dropping off their students on the side of the road before turning back around. I think they should just move all parent drop-off to the other side of campus instead of the stadium lot,” Talundzic added. “Now, there are like, 400 cars trying to get in and out of one entrance.”

While everyone in the Parkview community is experiencing the frustration caused by the construction, students have been advised to “leave early, be patient, and follow established traffic patterns.”

Because the entrance has little chance of ever being re-opened, perhaps it is wisest to make the best of the circumstances. “I still think the whole situation is ridiculous,” said FitzSimons, “but hopefully, if everyone follows the rules and goes where they’re supposed to go, driving in the mornings will get easier with time.”