Effort being made to control Ebola, a cure in sight

MCT

Map depicts countries currently battling Ebola along with statistics of infected persons.

Jordan Rice, Staff Writer

In the past several months within the confines of western Africa, an extremely deadly and virulent disease has been spreading at a rapid and uncontrolled rate. The hemorrhagic fever known as “Ebola” is quickly becoming an outbreak with unforeseeable scope and magnitude. Many health officials from a multitude of worldwide organizations are flocking to the scene specifically from the US. Also the World Health Organization (WHO) has sent numerous officials and specialists to the scene in attempts to curb the rapid expansion of the disease.

“We should definitely give help to other nations in their times of need, we’d want the same done for us if we suffered from a country-wide disaster,” comments sophomore Morgan Wan.

According to numerous on the scene health personnel, each person infected with Ebola spreads the virus to at least one or two other people on average before succumbing to the effects of the disease. WHO has identified 3,700 cases so far, and expects the number of infected people in West Africa to exceed an upwards of 250,000 by the end of the year.

“The thought of a disease spreading uncontrollably in my community is frightening,” says junior Alex Rush, “it’s the kind of nightmare horror movies show you.”

Multiple countries have sent their support in financial and human resources including the US, and multiple members of the EU. The United Nations themselves have submitted the majority of efforts in regards to the containment and fighting of the disease.

The Director of the Centers for Disease Control Tom Frieden remarks, “We need to support countries with resources, with technical experts and with cooperation, too many places are sealing off these countries.”

However, though the frightening statistics involving the spread and failure to enclose the disease continue to be reported to people in our own country, there is also a surprising amount of headway being made in the development of a cure for this terrible disease.

“The idea of such a horrible virus is terrifying, but seeing possible cures being developed brings hope to the entire situation,” notes concerned junior Frank F.

Multiple doctors at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta have administered the experimental drug “ZMapp” to patients, Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, alongside recent others, admitted who suffered from the effects of Ebola, and all have shown majorly positive upswings in health. This is by no means proof that the drug works, but it is a very encouraging sign for any concerned persons in regards to the continued spread of this epidemic. Though in light of this, the CDC has also released several messages instructing civilians to “prepare.” While further explanation of this statement could not be acquired, it is safe to assume that there is a slight chance of failure by the CDC to contain the illness.

A parallel to this outbreak alongside the new found mutations and developments of “superbugs” is evident in our very state of Georgia. An unknown respiratory disease has been invading states and sending children to the hospital for severe symptoms and asthmatic indications. The CDC’s response to this matter has been solid and forthcoming. The combating of this new viral infection is equivalent to our combined efforts in the eradication of Ebola. With any luck we of the human race will be capable of eliminating or controlling both diseases.