FBLA hits the ground running

FBLA officers Maria Ortiz and Judy Liu complete a leadership communications activity.

Fariha Kazi, Guest Writer

It is the beginning of another the school year, and Parkview’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)  is once again recruiting its new members. John Quincy Adams once said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” This is the just type of response FBLA is looking for this year, and hopefully the experience will inspire everyone to follow their passion and unleash their leadership potential.

Behind the scenes, FBLA’s officers have prepared for another year of motivation and inspiration at the Summer Leadership & Officer Training Summit at Redan High School. At the summit, the officers were required to engage in many leadership building exercises which will be incorporated into the club this year. Such activities required skills such as trust, cooperation, patience, and other qualities essential for the development of a young leader.

During the week of August 18th, FBLA’s recruitment week was held. It is a week for new members to gain an insight to the club and some added benefits. The officer handed out free treats such as ice cream and donuts and also free points were given to those who sign up for FBLA. The first meeting was held on the Thursday of that week. At the monthly meetings, there will be a member of the month and gifts and prizes.

FBLA is a great opportunity for any aspiring high school student. Every year there are state and regional competitions ranging from public speaking to job interview to website design. Last year, two FBLA members, Riya Dedani and Grace Xu who are now part of the officer team, represented Parkview at Nationals in Tennessee.

FBLA has also partnered up with local charities and outside organizations for donations and fundraising. Last year, FBLA supported the March of Dimes which is a nonprofit organization to improve the health for mothers and babies. This year it plans to donate school supplies for the Children’s Restoration Network, a nonprofit agency to serve the homeless children in Atlanta.

Previous members have volunteered at the Sunrise Facility, a senior nursing home, and Ronald McDonald, a nonprofit organization to heal and provide a home for sick children and their families. This year, FBLA is continuing Ronald McDonald spaghetti cooking days in which the members cook dinner for its patients.

FBLA highly encourages professional attire, and days are set throughout the year where the members can dress professionally to receive points. Last year, an etiquette luncheon was even held. FBLA also has socials, such as the bowling social. Members can even go to occasional Hawks games and Braves games to receive points.

Membership is still open for anyone interested. Visit Mrs. Barbra Jackson in room 1.114, G-building for more information.