Password Paranoia

Cameron Irish, Staff Writer

It is likely that most high school students have never been hacked, the odd unexplainable Facebook post excluded. While it is likely that the most someone could steal from such an account as it is now are copious pictures of cats, later in life identity theft could become a major issue, especially if one do not keep one’s password secure.

Passwords safeguard our information, keeping it from the hands of those whose wishes may be slightly less benign than wanting to find out what one’s birthday is. But when one’s password lacks the necessary complexity a good password demands, its role becomes moot, almost useless.

Many websites require a combination of numbers, letters, sometimes even including irritating “captchas” that would befuddle the most determined hacker, often managing to snag the owner in that list of people who can’t access the hard earned information.  While they may seem counterproductive, even the annoying captchas have their uses. Otherwise, what’s to stop someone from having a password of one digit?

These methods of securing identity are not foolproof. Every day, people find themselves being billed for a Jacuzzi that, sadly, they will never enjoy themselves. Don’t get billed for a Jacuzzi that will never be enjoyed  by its rightful owner; use a password of decent quality.

Even students in high school can take advantage of making better passwords.  Next time, students  may think twice before attempting to crack one’s Facebook account to ‘like’ random brands of Barbie dolls. And remember, anything is better than a short, numbers only password. Unless that password happens to be “password.”