IT is back

Peter Fedyk, Editor in Chief of content

Releasing 27 years after the original television mini-series, It, directed by Andy Muschietti, is an adaptation of the iconic Stephen King novel of the same name. Other than the fact that using the pronouns for an object is inadvertently calling the film by its title (making it very annoying to write about), I really enjoyed the rather long horror-thriller. Derry, Maine is being terrorized by an entity–a thing. It. Seven young kids, outcasts from the rest of their classmates, come to together to put a stop to the evil, one who preys almost exclusively on children and their fears.

It’s central characters are all children, meaning one thing: child actors. More often than not, a film reliant on the performances of kids tends to be less good than if it didn’t. However, the ensemble cast of preteens carries the project. They are all great. Seriously. Finn Wolfhard and Jack Dylan Grazer stand out among the rest as loudmouth Richie Tozier and germaphobic hypochondriac Eddie Kaspbrak. Not only were the kids great, but the dialogue was surprisingly verisimilitude for an 80’s setting adapted from a novel set in the 50’s. Some of their insults and slang commonly used by children who have just discovered swearing reminded me of my own adolescence. King’s classic wouldn’t be complete without the titular “It,” and this movie doesn’t hold him back. Bill Skarsgard’s Pennywise the Clown appears within the first ten minutes and you won’t forget him. The Swedish actor, son of iconic Stellan Skarsgard, is a devilish cocktail of creepy, charming, and weirdly funny. He’s simply mesmerizing to watch, stealing almost every scene his terrifying smile appears with extravagant threats and minute mannerisms. No credit should forego the makeup team as their creation belongs in a circus from hell.

I won’t lie. I had almost no hope for this movie, even after the excellent trailers. Director Andy Muschietti’s past work missed the horror itch I needed to be scratched. Pair this with my previous fear of child actors and there was no way I would buy a ticket before hearing opinions from other filmgoers.To my surprise, the direction of the film is quite. Although the focus jumps around due to a number of notable characters, the film’s fast pace and creative scares keep it fresh and entertaining. Inevitably, I have to talk about Pennywise again. Skarsgard is over six feet tall, making the clown imposing and unsettling while toying with the kids. His large stature does have a weakness. Running. Have you ever seen a person of above average height run? It’s pretty funny. How about a clown of above average height run? I sure haven’t but I assume it’d be even funnier. Luckily, Muschietti anticipated this problem. In scenes that involve the creature running, the shot’s usually alternate between the victim running for their life and a close shot of Pennywise, the background moving quickly behind him. It’s almost like watching the trees whisp by when looking out of the window of a speeding car. This technique relayed to the audience that Pennywise was chasing his dinner without revealing how goofy it probably looked behind the scenes; this is just one of the examples of the newly incepted faith I have for his future projects.

Peter Fedyk, Editor in Chief of Content

Peter Fedyk is a senior at Parkview and editor-in-chief of the school’s paper, the Pantera. He loves to write, both creatively and journalistically,...

IT is back