Divergent Dazzles on the Big Screen

MCT Campus

Shailene Woodley (left) and Theo James star in "Divergent."

Grace Kim, Staff Writer

On its opening night, young adults all over the nation lined up to see Divergent. Long awaited and surrounded by lots of hype, Divergent has been all the craze recently. “I have been waiting for this movie for months,” says sophomore Morgan Singletary. Earning about $56 million during its opening weekend, it is often compared to other young adult movies such as Twilight and The Hunger Games.

Divergent is set in a dystopian society in Chicago. In this society, everyone is divided into five factions according to personality. At the age of 16, each person takes a test that determines which faction fits his or her personality. On choosing day, the 16-year-olds choose a faction to live in for the rest of their lives based on their test results. The main character is named Beatrice Prior (played by Shailene Woodley). The story follows Beatrice as she discovers that she does not fit into any of the factions and she realizes she must hide this information from even her family.

Because Divergent has constantly been compared to The Hunger Games, it has struggled to stand out on its own. However, there are areas where Divergent shines. For one, it has a very talented cast including Woodley, Theo James, Kate Winslet, Miles Teller, and more. They truly bring the movie to life and make the futuristic society in the movie seem real. Divergent also stays pretty true to the book, so fans of the novel should be pleased. “I was really excited to compare the Divergent movie with the book,” says sophomore Anamika Sharma. Although movie-goers who have not read the book might find the movie a little hard to follow in some scenes, it is still an entertaining movie for the whole family.

Overall, while Divergent may fall a little short if compared to other huge young adult movies before it, it is still a movie that should fascinate people of all ages. With a sequel coming out in next year, things are looking good for the Divergent movie franchise.