Ways to Destress During Final Season

Maymunah Showkat , Photo Editor

The end of the semester is typically met with joy. There are only a couple weeks until break, a time to relax and get away from school for two long weeks. However, for many students, the last few weeks of the semester is dreadful. Before students are able to escape on their dream vacation, they must take their finals. Many kids may be on the verge of a failing grade or they may be trying to keep their 4.0 GPA, nevertheless, finals are never something that students enjoy. They can cause an immense amount of stress that can be harmful for teenagers. Yet, there are many precautions that students can take in order to minimize the amount of stress they feel. 

A key factor that helps reduce reduce stress is to avoid procrastination. Procrastination is a bad habit that thousands of students are guilty of. Often times, procrastination will cause all nighters and students will go into their final sleep deprived. The best way to avoid this problem is to start studying a week before. Studying a week before ensures that students will not feel an immense amount of stress as they cram all the information they learned in a semester the night before. It also helps students remember information more.

Another way to reduce stress is to do something that is enjoyable and relaxing. For many people, this will include taking a steaming bath, lighting a candle or listening to soothing music. Many studies have shown that these habits reduce the amount of stress and anxiety in one’s life. Aromatherapy, for example, has been shown to reduce anxiety and help people sleep. (healthline.com). Scents like lavender and chamomile, in particular, help people feel less tense. Music is always something that reflects people’s mood. Typically when people are sad they will listen to soft, slow paced music. When people are mad they will listen to loud, fast paced music. In order to feel more relaxed, it is a good idea to listen to soothing music – something with a calm beat and soft melody.

Stress can be a difficult beast to slay, especially when you’re being tested back to back. But, the most important thing to remember is that you shouldn’t worry if you have tried your best.