Parkview Cluster Foundation hosts an awesome 5k fun run in Lilburn

Anamika Sharma, Beats Editor, Staff Writer

Sunday October 18th, the Parkview Cluster Foundation held their first 5K and 1 mile Fun Run. This race took place on the Greenway Trail at Lilburn City Park. Kona Ice, Papa Johns, and 1910 Public House were sponsors who sold food at the event. The event was held to support the Parkview Cluster Schools. The Parkview Cluster Foundation Event Coordinator, Karen Wood stated, “This was the first Fun Run for the Cluster Foundation. Over 250 people registered for the event, and the turnout was awesome!”

The mission of the Parkview Cluster Foundation is “… To support, enhance and enrich the academic and arts programs for students attending schools in the Parkview cluster by providing funding to extend and supplement opportunities for students, teachers and administrators.”

The Foundation provides grants and aid to Parkview cluster schools to promote and implement growth in these areas. They provide funds for advancement when other funds may not be available. The Fun Run is a way for members of the community to be involved in enhancing their community while enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon.

The Fun Run kicked off with a Zumba warm up prior to the race held by Body Rock Fitness. Then commenced the 5k Run, with the 1 mile run held shortly after. Race times were collected through electronic chips on each runner provided by Performance Race Systems.

For the overall 5k race the winners included Cindy Taylor in first place with a time of 22:59.6, Sharon Smith in second place with a time of 23:13.6 , and our very own principal, Mr. David Smith, in third place with a time of 23:17.9.  In the high school age group first place was freshman, Daniel Settles with a time of 21:46.7, second place was senior, Cassi Wylie with a time of 28:25.7, and third place was freshman, Greg Hart with a time of 29:40.8. Of the middle school runners, in first place was Andrew Todd with a time of 25:10.9, second place was Elise Musser with a time of 27:51.8, and third place was Russell Hart with a time of 29:40.8.

After the winners were announced, a spirit competition took place with a prize of two boxes of pizza for the school with the most spirit. Faculty and students who were present from each of the Parkview Cluster schools competed against each other to see which school had the most spirit. In the end, Arcado Elementary School’s representatives won the spirit competition and the pizza grand prize.