How to make the most of your summer

High school students helping out at Childrens Heathcare of Atlanta's Volunteen program.

Grace Kim, Opinion Editor

Summer break is blissful. It is a time to decompress from all the stress of the school year. Most students’ first instinct is to forget about all school related thoughts and devote all time to hanging out with friends, catching up on tv shows, and sleeping. Yet, summer is also a very valuable in which there are a countless number of opportunities for students to experience new things and make the most of their summer.

One great way to make the most of summer break is to spend time doing volunteer work.There is an endless amount of organizations in need of extra hands. Some examples include, but certainly are not limited to, libraries, hospitals, homeless shelters, summer camps, animal shelters, soup kitchens, senior centers, and more. The Lilburn Co-op is a good place to start if you are new to volunteering, and the fact that it works to improve the local community makes it all the better. If you are interested in the medical field, you can look into the Volunteen program of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

“Volunteering is a great way to spend your time in the summer because you get better the community and help others without distractions from school. It’s honestly a passion of mine,” said senior Harshal Choksi.

Another great summer opportunity for students is an internship or job. Both options teach students how to work to be successful through hard work and collaboration with others. Internships and jobs not only grow one’s pool of connections, but they are also great additions to resumes. Hundreds of thousands of job and internship listings appear through a few web searches. Internship.com is a good place to start looking for a variety of available internship options.

“Working in the summer allows me to make money and learn important life experiences,” said junior Sabrina Giang.

If you are interested in spending the summer at a college campus, there are hundreds of summer programs at colleges across the nation. The programs cater to a wide range of interests, from music, to sciences,to computer programming, and much more. Most colleges post information regarding their summer programs on their websites. Emory University’s pre-college program allows students to take courses in different topics of their choice. Students may even reside on campus, giving them a taste of college life.

“I loved attending the Emory Summer Science Academy this past summer because I had the opportunity to explore various medical topics, research deja vu, dissect an animal, toured medical facilities, and even went to six flags,” said senior Amari Parham.

Last but not least, summer break is the perfect time to study. Yes, this idea sounds likes like absolute torture, but it is a great way to get ahead in order to feel less stressed during the school year. For juniors and seniors, summer vacation is the perfect time to study for the SAT, ACT, or any other standardised tests that may be looming. Just a little bit of reviewing a day is better than doing nothing at all. That way, there will be one less burden to worry about during the school year when the workload seems to pile up nonstop.

“Studying for the SAT in the summer is really helpful because during the school year, the workload gets in the way,” said junior Kaylah Edwards.

Whatever it is you choose to do, summer break is a great time to explore and get ahead to prepare for the next school year. Making the most of break time is essential to ensuring a smooth ride into the upcoming school year.